Most of the time I feel pretty ordinary. I feel like if one of my friends were to describe me to someone who didn't know me, she wouldn't be able to say, "Hannah is so interesting. She has some really unique interests and skills." I just don't see myself as someone who is particularly fascinating.
Maybe I am wrong in feeling that way, maybe I am not. But I think the root of that feeling about myself is in the fact that I have never really had a hobby that I have developed, that I have gotten really good at. I've dabbled with a few things, sewing, sports, playing the violin, scrapbooking ... but I never really got good at anything. I lacked the follow-through. So, one of my goals for this year is to develop some hobbies and interests, to get good at some things ... and to enjoy it.
I am under no delusions that my interests are in any way "cool," but that doesn't matter to me so much. I mean, I am curious about some trendy pastimes, such as yoga. And I might take a yoga class to see what it's all about about. (Although I think I might prefer a yoga/pilates combo, "pi-yo" as all the cool kids call it.) But currently, I have been developing two of my interests: knitting and tea drinking. (You may now burst into laughter at my dorkiness.)
I have knitted for years, but never anything fancy, just the average scarf and occasional hat. That was the extent of my skill level. But in the last few weeks I have been trying to take it up a notch. I bought a few really neat knitting books that are opening up a whole new world of knitting to me. I have learned how to do a cable stitch (that twisting rope pattern found on lots of sweaters) and I was surprised to find how incredibly easy it is!!! Now I am taking on the scariest project of all, the project that takes an amateur knitter to a whole new level: I am making my first pair of socks. I haven't gotten to the hard part yet (turning the heel) but so far, I am having a blast. I am pretty excited, I'm not going to lie.
As far as the tea drinking hobby, well, I have been drinking a lot of wonderful loose leaf teas, and I am reading a book that has more information than I ever knew existed about the difference between an Oolong and a Rooibos, health benefits of each tea, the history of tea, and the methods of curing tea. Did you know that green, black and white teas are all from the same plant? What makes them different are the different methods by which they are processed.
So, friends, now that I confessed my dorkiness to you, you can tell someone who doesn't know me, "Hannah is so interesting. She has some very different, unique and ... nerdy hobbies."
P.S. Next things on my list to accomplish: reading more good books (Please leave me a comment if you have any suggestions; I am looking for a new read.) and learning about/listening to more classical music.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've always thought you were fascinating. Weird, but always fascinating. ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you have a fun hobby. Your family will be so happy that you have picked up knitting... they will have such warm feet and necks! :) While looking so cool in their pretty yarns too! :)
Book: Even Now.... hehehe!
And Redeeming Love! Seriously. Read it.
I wore a scarf you made me to work a couple weeks ago, and everyone commented on it. One lady said, "You have such a talented friend!"
ReplyDeleteand so... how are those socks? :) and how is the tea?
ReplyDelete