Friday, May 7, 2010

Born in the wrong era

As you might remember, I have a recently new infatuation with Walgreens.

I have been going there on my lunch break the last few days. Why? Because I have feeling this very strange feminine urge to buy … beauty products. And I’m not talking about the soap and lotion kind of products; I’m talking about frivolous, I-might-wear-this-makeup-one-time beauty products.

I am not an impulse buyer. Really. I usually think every purchase through, walk around the store holding the item for 20 minutes only to put it back on the shelf.

I don’t know what has gotten into me.
Yesterday, I bought new eye shadow. This particular palette included a lovely shade of turquoise.

I was (and am) very excited about this. Why? No, seriously, why?

Every other palette of eye shadow I own sticks to the tame colors of brown, green and purple.

And mostly the green and purple are only used sparingly, when I am wearing a green or purple outfit, of course.

The excitement over the turquoise makeup made me realize something: I was born about 10 years too late. Do you know how cool I would have been if I had been a teenager in the 80s? Let’s review:
Love of polka dots? Check.
Narrow shoulders in need of padding? Check and check.
Clothing in fluorescent colors? Of course.
Big hair? Given a can of hairspray and a roller brush, my naturally curly coifs would have been the envy of every girl this side of the Mississippi!

But then I started thinking that, while the 80s would have been dandy indeed, I really should have lived during the Renaissance.

Editor’s Note: the following paragraph is intended with good humor and is not an attempt to “fish for compliments.” The author feels very secure about the following statements and does not need all (3) of her readers to become unduly concerned.

I would have been a real “catch” during the 16th century. Back then, they liked their women pale and pleasantly plump. Just check out their artwork. I probably would have been the Cindy Crawford of that era.


All of this reminds me of the classic SNL sketch: (Warning: this is slightly inappropriate but hilarious)

Well, dear readers, I am off to apply my turquoise makeup, but I want you to tell me what era would have been the prime time for you. I better get some comments, too, or else I am going to start doing my makeup this:

3 comments:

  1. 1st. I'm pretty sure I have a picture of myself cheerleading with eye shadow like that... only blue. (rolling my eyes at myself right now)
    2nd. I would have been a catch in the 16th C too. It's the "sturdy" legs...
    3rd. Careful about the impulse buying... i know from experience. The mini trampoline in my closet reminds me daily... ha! :) However, there aren't too many crazy things at Walgreens that you will REALLY regret.
    4. I don't know what era I would be... 80's would be one, but also think I could have rocked the 50's poodle skirt and cardigan. My conclusion... I don't know. :)

    Let's catch up soon! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have rocked the 80's fashion.

    I struggle with the question of what era would be prime for me, primarily because of my need for quality medical care. I think I was born in just the right era, save for maybe the future, where I have a living chance.

    Now, if the whole death thing was taken out of the equation...and the awful acne...I think the colonial times, pre-revolution, would have been really nice. I could devote myself to baking bread all day. I could have an herb garden. But I do have a sensitivity to extreme heat, cold and white bread. Sigh.

    I think I was born in the right era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair belongs in the 80s ... I could have had some major bangs, and did, in fact, far too long into the 90s.

    My hips and butt belong in the 16th century, or early last century. Have you ever seen pictures of "hot" girls in the 50s? They weren't petite.

    Mostly I think I could have been a Southern belle. Corsets and hoop skirts to hide anything you have. Gentlemenly gentlemen. The freedom to pass out at any word but also the spunk to pick up a gun and chase some Yankees out of your front yard. Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete